SeaDek is a cell EVA foam often used on boats, as it provides a non-slip surface. Over time, however, SeaDek can become stained and dirty. To keep your SeaDek looking its best, it is important to clean it regularly.
In this blog post, we will outline the best way to clean your SeaDek, as well as provide some helpful tips on how to keep it looking new. So read on!
How to Clean your SeaDek
What Will you Need
- A brush
- Mild soap
- A power washer (optional)
Please do not use mineral spirits, hull cleaner, bleach without mixing with water, and acetone.
Step 1: Brush the Loosened Dirt
Start by brushing the surface of your SeaDek with a soft-bristled brush. This preparation step will help to loosen any dirt or debris on the surface.
If you have a power washer, you can also use it to remove any tough stains. Just be sure not to use too much pressure, as this can damage the SeaDek.
Step 2: Wash the Seadek
Once you have brushed the surface, it’s time to wash it with soap and water. The best way to clean SeaDek is with soap and water.
- Mix your mild soap and water to make soapy water in a bucket
- Then use a sponge or brush to scrub the SeaDek surface gently and in a circular motion to get all the dirt out of the piece
If your SeaDek is particularly dirty or stained, you may need to use a stronger cleaner. In this case, we recommend using a product called Starbrite SeaDek Cleaner. This product can be found at most marine stores, specifically designed to clean SeaDek surfaces.
- Just be sure to follow the directions on the bottle carefully, as misuse can damage your SeaDek
- Then, wash down the SeaDek with soapy water using a sponge or cloth. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies
- Do not forget to rinse off any soap residue when you are finished
Step 3: Apply Sealant
Once you have cleaned your SeaDek, it is important to protect it from the elements. It’s recommended to apply a sealant to your SeaDek every few months. The sealant will help protect it from the elements and keep it looking new for longer.
We recommend using a product called Starbrite SeaDek Protector that helps keep your SeaDek looking new and protects it from UV damage. Just be sure to apply it regularly, as directed on the bottle.
How to Clean the Suntan Lotion on Seadek
When you use sunscream and accidentally get it on the SeaDek, it could be rather annoying and stick over time. In that case, an all-purpose cleaner can help.
- Pour some drops of the all-purpose cleaner onto the lotion marks
- Use the bristle brush for boat to rub on the marks using warm water
- Rinse the SeaDek with clean water and repeat the process if the marks are still visible
How to Clean Rust Stains out of SeaDek?
Rust stain is another irritable and stubborn dirt that often appears on SeaDek. You can either use vinegar, fiberglass cleaner for hull and bottom, or oxalic acid to remove the stains.
- Pour the chosen cleaning agent onto the rust stains. Leave the cleaner there for it to work for about 5 minutes
- Then, wear rubber gloves and rub the solution on the stains in circular movements
- Then, use clean water to rinse the dirt and cleaner from the SeaDek
How to Remove Fish Blood from SeaDek?
It is unavoidable for some boaters to not accidentally get fish blood stains on their SeaDek. And worse, it smells. So, we have to use bleach to remove this kind of nuance from our boat.
- Mix the bleach and cold water in a ratio of 1:1, or 1:2, just make sure you create a not-too-strong cleaning agent for this. Then, apply it onto the blood stains
- Dip your soft brush into water, and use it to work the cleaner onto the SeaDek surface. Do so until the stains are completely gone
- Now, finish by rinsing the SeaDek with clean water
Tips on Cleaning SeaDek
- To avoid staining your SeaDek, be sure to treat and remove all dirt that can smear before cleaning
- If you are using a strong cleaner, always test it in a small area first to make sure it will not damage the surface
- To avoid staining your SeaDek, be sure to wipe up any spills as soon as they occur
- Store your SeaDek in a dry place when not in use. This will help to prevent mold and mildew from forming
How to Clean SeaDek Flooring
Cleaning SeaDek flooring is easy and can be done with a variety of different methods.
- For light cleaning, simply use a damp cloth to wipe down the surface
- For more thorough cleaning, you can use a combination of vinegar and water or a specially formulated boat cleaner. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions closely when using any cleaner
- To avoid damaging the flooring, always use a soft-bristled brush when scrubbing dirt and stains
- Never use metal bristles, as they can scratch the surface
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or solvents, as these can also damage the flooring
- Finally, be sure to rinse the area thoroughly after cleaning to remove all traces of cleaner. Once the flooring is dry, you can apply a protectant to help keep it looking new
Cleaning and caring for your SeaDek is key to keeping it looking great and performing well. There are many things that can stain your SeaDek, including fish blood, rust, and even your own sunscream. Therfore, make sure to follow the tips to clean regularly and keep your SeaDek looking new for years to come.
Thanks for reading our blog post. We hope you found it helpful, and be sure to share it with your friends if they have a boat with SeaDek on it!