If you own a boat, you know that keeping it clean can be a demanding task. Your boat cover is among the parts that require washing, especially to avoid mildew and dirt stuck on it. Luckily, cleaning a boat cover is relatively easy and only takes a few steps.
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to clean your boat cover so it looks like new again, ready for new adventures. Whether your cover is stained from algae or dirt, follow these simple tips.
What do you Need to Clean your Boat Cover?
- Cool water and a water hose
- Some mild soap
- A soft brush
- A bucket
How to Clean your Boat Cover
Step 1: Remove any Debris from the Cover
If there are leaves or other debris on your cover, remove them before you start washing.
Step 2: Make the Cleaner
Mix mild soap with water in a bucket. You can use any mild soap, such as dish soap.
Step 3: Use a Brush to Scrub the Cover
Dip the brush in soapy water and scrub the entire cover. Be sure to pay extra attention to any stained or dirty areas.
Step 4: Rinse the Cover with a Hose
Once you’ve scrubbed the entire cover, rinse it off with a hose.
Step 5: Let the Cover Air Dry.
After rinsing, let the cover air dry completely before putting it back on the boat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Remove Mildew from the Canvas Boat Cover?
Mildew can be a pesky problem to remove from canvas boat covers. However, with a few simple steps and some white vinegar, you can get the job done and have your cover looking good as new.
- Step 1: Mix a gallon of water with 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- Step 2: Soak a soft cloth in the mixture and wring it out well
- Step 3: Rub the mildewed area gently until the stain is gone
- Step 4: Rinse the area with clean water and let it dry completely
If the mildew does not come off with this method, you may need to use a more potent solution.
Try adding 1/4 cup of bleach to the gallon of water and vinegar mixture. Be sure to rinse the area well afterward to avoid damage to your cover.
Things to Remember When Washing a Boat Cover?
Most boat covers are made of a durable fabric that can be easily cleaned with a little bit of soap and water. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when washing your boat cover:
- Always use a mild detergent when cleaning your boat cover. Please do not use any harsh chemicals or cleaners, as they may damage the fabric. Use a mild soap or detergent designed specifically for washing boat covers
- Always wash your boat cover in cold water
- Rinse the cover thoroughly after washing to remove all of the soap residues
- Let the cover air dry before folding or storing it away. Please do not put it in the dryer, as this may damage the fabric
- Store your boat cover in a cool, dry place when not in use
- Do not fold or crease your boat cover, as this can cause permanent damage
- If you have any questions about how to clean your boat cover, please contact the manufacturer for more information
- Inspect your cover regularly for any signs of wear or damage
Can you Wash a Boat Cover?
The short answer is yes, you can wash a boat cover. There are some things to keep in mind when doing so.
- First, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Each cover is made differently and may require specific care instructions
- Second, use a mild detergent and lukewarm water when washing your cover. Hot water can damage the fabric, and harsh detergents can strip the cover of its protective coating
- Finally, be sure to rinse the cover thoroughly after washing. Leaving soap residue on the fabric can cause it to deteriorate over time
Boat covers are an important part of boat maintenance. Cleaning them with the right cleaning product will prolong their quality and nice look.
Make sure to always check the instructions from the manufacturer first before you decide to use any strong solution on your boat cover.